Monday, November 17, 2014

Sept. 1: Ollalie Lake to Warm Springs



Journal Entry:  Sept 1, 2014, 8:26 AM, Ollalie Lake Store

"Woke at 3:20 AM, starving + needing to pee.  After some deliberation (is this crazy? too loud?) I opened a can of Pringles + ate them in my sleeping bag.  Eventually went back to sleep until 7:50.  Now enjoying coffee on the front porch of the store.  Mt. Jefferson looks amazing.  People here are so nice!  I'm happy.  Should I wait for the PBs? This is the question.  Also:  my body is tired.  A day here would be good.  No hurry.  Only 55 miles until T-Lodge. "

 Original trail marker, circa late 1970's-early 1980's

 Forest fire that had closed the trail just weeks prior...  so freshly burned here that it still smelled like smoke and burn, and the trees hadn't fallen yet-- still in the process of dying from thirst.

Walked through this burn not too long before sundown.  Lonely times in Warm Springs.  A fresh burn and the silence (i.e. death) of such a forest is a little bit creepy and lonely.   

Journal Entry:  Sept. 1, 2014 8:50 pm.  Ollalie Lake to Pinhead Saddle-- 13.5 miles. 

"After a leisurely morning, Guy-on-a-Buffalo arrived at the store + told me about Blox trying to camp in the rain alone because Pigpen had 1/2 the tent and was [lagging behind] with Bunyon.  What the fuck! Horrible.  I stuck around Ollalie for a while + had lunch + a few beersw/ Buffalo, then a huge posse of thru hikers arrived an it got strange.  Hornsby was vibing me hard.  Blegh!  People! I took off at 2:00 pm + Buffalo said he planned on doing the 14 miles up here, but alas, it's almost 9:00pm and no one's arrived.  Groupies.  Unoriginal.  The people I did enjoy meeting today were all section hikers, older and wiser:  "Good Samaritan", "Chuckles Rocketship" and a woman named Chris, here in camp tonight.  My feet  + ankles hurt.  Why did I leave my Gel insoles at the Christian Camp?  Oh well." 

No comments: