Monday, November 17, 2014

August 31, 2104: Ollalie Lake

 the nasty weather receding, but still being held close by heretofore hidden Mt. Jefferson
 Eeyore coming down the trail from Milk Creek in the morning after the storm.  I've never been happier to see another human being than I was when he came into my camp this morning.
 Finally!  The beautiful glory of this mountain reveals itself.   Jefferson Park, Oregon.




 Gnarly alpine trees hinting at the northerly- ness of this part of the trail...
 First snow-field (for me) on the PCT. 
YARD SALE!  It took almost 18 miles of walking (and a change of aspect) to finally find a warm and dry enough spot to dry all of my rain-soaked gear from yesterday/last night.  Ahhhh.  Such a relief to get dry again.

Journal Entry:  August 31, 2014.  PCT miles 2035 - 2054.  18.5 miles.  Ollalie Lake

"Woke at 4:45 am, still raining.  Again @ 6:00am to pee, this time no rain, yet more rain again from 6:30-7:30am.  Finally got up at 8:00 am to cloudy skies.  Made coffee and oatmeal, then Eeyore came by at about 9:00 am.  We chatted a bit and leap-frogged all day.  Finally sun around 2:00 pm.  Jefferson Park was lovely.  A 7,000 ft. pass came next and an actual snow crossing that I botched.  Irritated by some day hikers commenting on my lack of a jacket, I scurried down the north side shale + hurt my ankle.  Grrr! Found a sunny spot to yard-sale all my wet shit-- dried in about 45 minutes.  Was given a garden tomato by a stranger.  The miles came slow today + my feet hurt like hell.  Word of Blox, Pigpen + Polar Bear a day behind but no Paul Bunyon sightings.  Tonight:  Beer at Ollalie Lake.  No rain = happier spirits, but I am tired."

No comments: