Monday, July 13, 2015

the wild rogue





The Rogue River Trail is a 41 mile trail that hugs the north side of the Wild and Scenic Rogue River.  I have always wanted to hike the entire trail.  This weekend I hiked a meager 11 miles upriver, from Agness at the west end, to Solitude, and back.  It was 3 days of nearly complete alone time, with the occasional view of rafters and kayakers below as I walked along the cliffs with Bonnie in the sun.  What a wonderful place! We saw bears, snakes, myriad ducks and geese, herons, osprey, flickers, vultures, eagles, bats, lizards, squirrels, deer... and almost no people.  It was a highly awesome little trip.  I will definitely go back and do the whole thing when my (old, trusty and semi-arthritic) dog isn't with me. Highly recommended backpacking trip in Southern Oregon with readily available river swimming, sun, views and feelings of wildness...  just be careful for the poison oak, of which there is tons and tons.  Luckily for me, I am not allergic, otherwise it would have been hell.  Maybe that is why I was the only one on the trail?