Saturday, August 16, 2014

the first 400 miles: yosemite to mt. lassen

Day # 1: we don't know yet that we're about to begin the suffering...


No, it's not comfortable to sleep on granite.

Yes, trout for dinner is a wonderful thing!





First resupply box:  CALORIES!!!



First motel room, South Lake Tahoe:  sink laundry and cold beer. Luxuries.



Reno Dave and the Three Stooges.  Trail magic around the Tahoe rim.  Cold beer on the trail... yes!


Evidence of thru hikers...

Thirsty thru hikers drinking the free beer at Donner Ski Ranch.  Wonderful.



Do I look pissed?  It might be because there hasn't been water for dozens of miles at a stretch....

Here I am, alive and drinking whiskey on my first full zero, Sierra City






This is not a good sign... 

This is a wonderful sign...

Feather River, Middle Fork.  First 2 rattlesnakes and dropped my iPhone in the water.  Tough day.

This is a real Jackalope over my bed...

Screen shot of the fire that would ultimately halt my northbound progress around Chester...


Edge of the world with forest fire smoke filling the air...

Finding my new PCT buddies (again!) drinking beer on the porch of a small store in Belden Town. 
Mt. Lassen National Park.  Different rocks, new landscapes, different challenges.

One of these people lives in a tree...  (for real).

The endless generosity of strangers along the PCT.  Wonderful!



Oregon Coast respite:  Walls!  Lights!  Furniture!  Friends! Taking a few days off trail to regroup, print new maps and pack new resupply boxes before the next 300 mile leg of my journey.